Drains are one of the most important parts of your kitchen and bathroom. They carry all the dirt in the water, including hair, food particles, and water among other things.
And because all this dirt goes through the pipes, they will get clogged and need cleaning. That means cleaning pipes is inevitable, and you have to know the best approach.
Most homeowners search for commercial drain cleaners. While that seems like an easy solution, you run the risk of damaging the pipes.
Luckily, there are several natural ways of dealing with clogged pipes. A simple homemade drain cleaner is enough to do a clean job. And it will keep your pipes in the best conditions possible. Homemade drain cleaners don’t have any chemicals, making them safer to use at home. It’s not only for the pipes but for your family too.
Reasons to Use Homemade Drain Cleaners
Clogged drains can get quite frustrating for the homeowner. It’s worse especially when they become too smelly. Once the bathroom or kitchen drain gets clogged and dirt piles up, most homeowners will panic. They will call their local plumbers immediately.
Unfortunately, some plumbers may only be out to get your money. Thus, they will never recommend the best solutions. Rather, they may use chemical cleaners to get the task out of the way.
We recommend using natural homemade solutions. Here are some of the reasons why using such products is better:
Plumbing can be expensive. It becomes even worse when the dirt damages your pipes in areas that are not accessible. Water leakages will damage the walls, forcing you to spend more on repairs than you may have expected. Also, the chemicals inside some of these commercial cleaners are quite harmful.
You don’t want your child or pets getting near them. They may leave some residues inside the pipes, which may affect a member of your family.
Homemade drain cleaners are the safest solution. They don’t contain any chemicals. Some of them, like vinegar, are common kitchen items, which we use every day. They will not affect your pipes or cause any harm.
The costs of calling a plumber and buying commercial drain cleaners may not be worth the trouble. Some of the chemicals are much higher than what you would get from a simple home remedy.
Some of the home drain cleaning solutions we will mention here don’t even require you to leave the house. You will find them wherever you are, saving you time and money.
Consider also the long-term benefits of keeping your pipes safe. You avoid spending on the damaged pipes that would come from chemicals.
It’s More Satisfying
Something you make yourself at home is more fulfilling than what you may have bought from the shop. It makes you feel more confident if you can do it yourself and it works.
For instance, handling a shower drain backup yourself may help you learn something new. You will know what to do incase such happens again.
Besides, making a DIY drain cleaner is quite fun. You can even do it with your children, helping them learn something new in their lives. This could be a great bonding experience for your family.
DIY Drain Cleaners that will Not Damage Your Pipes
Expert and reliable plumbers are always ready to recommend the best homemade solutions. Here are some of the most effective cleaners:
Using Vinegar and Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the most popular base compounds found in our homes. We use it to bake, and it’s also very effective in unclogging a drain. Combine it with vinegar and you can be sure of the best results.
Vinegar is an excellent remedy for clearing out the nasty smell that comes from dirt build-up. Natural baking soda, , is an excellent antibacterial and disinfectant. This makes it an excellent cleaning agent.
Combining the two creates a chemical reaction, producing oxygen and carbon monoxide. It breaks down and displaces clogs in the sink pipes.
- Collect the materials. You will need a ½ cupful of white vinegar and ¾ cupful of baking soda for this process.
- Pour the baking soda into the drain and give it a few minutes to settle. Add in the vinegar and plug it in using a towel or a plate. This will ensure the chemical reaction takes place in a contained environment.
- Let it settle for about 30 minutes and then remove the drain cover.
- Pour in hot water to rinse your pipes and ensure an effective cleaning process.
- In case you have a stubborn clog, repeat the process until your pipes are completely cleaned.
One of the best things about using baking soda and vinegar is that there are so many ways of doing it. You may have used it several to clean fruits and other parts of your house. Hence, understand just how effective it is.
Using a Cream of Tartar and Baking Soda
Baking soda is often the main ingredient in many home DIY drain cleaning solutions. This potent solvent and strong anti-bacterial is an excellent safe drain cleaner. It will leave your pipes smelling nice.
Mixing it with any acidic compound creates a cost-efficient non-toxic solution. And yet it is yet very effective. Homeowners who have learned its secrets have always found it extremely useful.
If you don’t have vinegar, use a cream of tartar to create a highly effective cleaning agent. The solution that comes out is safe for the environment and easy on your pipes.
The first and most important step is getting the material ready. You will need ¼ cup full of baking soda, salt, cream of tar, 2 cups of boiling water, and a paper towel.
- Take off the drain trap and clean it of any dirt using a paper towel and then replace it. This is important because it allows for the compounds to mix effectively. It will then clean your pipes without leaving any hidden dirt.
- Mix the baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Slowly add in the hot water until you have a thick liquid.
- Pour the solution into the pipes until it covers down.
- Let it settle for about 20 minutes and then pour the boiling water down the drain.
- Give the mixture another hour to stand, and then rinse using warm water.
- Take off the sound that comes out. Don’t be alarmed by any fizzing sound as it means the solution is working.
- If you feel the cleaning is not enough, repeat the process until you are fully satisfied.
This is among the solutions that have proven very effective for clogged pipes. Although it takes longer to clean, the results are quite amazing.
Using all-natural Organic Enzyme Cleaners
We use various things around our homes in cleaning pipes . You just need to identify the best ones and know how to use them.
For example, citrus peels will do the job very well. You can mix it with citrus-infused vinegar. It will unclog the pipes easily, saving you from toxic cleaners.
This is one of the best all-natural pipe cleaners that will never disappoint you. And the device smell that comes out will give your entire room some freshness.
For this concoction, you will need as many citrus peels as you can get vinegar, baking soda, boiling water, and a jar.
- Put the citrus inside the jar and mix it with the vinegar. Cover the jar tightly with a lid and let it settle for at least 14 days. This will give the components enough time to mix into an effective cleaner.
- Pour the baking soda into the drain. Then add in the citrus-infused vinegar immediately.
- Cover your drain using a plug to allow a better reaction.
- Let it stay so for at least 30 minutes. Any fizzing means the cleaner is working effectively and your drains will be clean soon.
- Pour the boiling water inside the drains.
Preparing this cleaner takes a little longer than the other products above. However, it can be more effective if used properly.
Using Lemon Juice
Baking soda is an all-in-one solution when it comes to home cleaning and maintenance. You can use it to unclog your pipes.
Lemon juice is more acidic than vinegar, which makes it more effective when used with baking soda. The only downside is that making this cleaner is a bit more expensive. But that will not matter once you see the enhanced performance of this DIY drain cleaner.
Get 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of lemon juice. You don’t need anything else, which is why most homeowners will prefer it.
- Pour your baking soda down the drain allowing it a few minutes to settle.
- Add in the lemon juice and then cover your drains. Let it settle for about 30 minutes to effectively clean the pipes.
- Use hot water to rinse by running it down slowly for about 2 minutes.
Your drain should be unclogged now and ready to use. It takes only a few minutes for this process to complete, but the results are long-lasting.
Most of the solutions we have discussed above have baking soda as the main ingredient. There are many other recipes that are even easier to use. They include the following:
Ammonia and Boiling Water
Ammonia is not a new compound to many homeowners in the USA. It’s an effective cleaner that has been used for ages. Although it has a pungent smell, that should not make you dismiss it immediately.
Empty a cup of ammonia into boiling water and pour the mixture into the drain. Give it 30 minutes and then apply a plunger to get rid of any clogs that may still to the pipes. Rinse with hot water and your pipes will be as good as new.
Using Lemon-infused Essential Oil Cleaner
Here is another solution that will leave your house smelling fresh and the pipes cleaned. Even though it does not contain the necessary agents for a thorough cleaning, it’s more than enough to unclog those pipes.
Mix ¼ cups of baking soda and liquid castle soap, and 10 drops of lemon essential oil in a bowl. Pour the mixture down the drain and allow it to settle for not less than 30 minutes. Rinse with hot water and your pipes will be cleaned.
Mix Salt, Borax, and Vinegar
Acidity in vinegar breaks down the clog, and the mild corrosiveness and antibacterial salt and borax clean the pipes. Mix the borax and salt in a bowl, and then slowly add in vinegar, giving the solution enough time to react. As the reaction settles, empty it inside the clogged drain and give it 30 minutes to settle. Rinse using hot water and start enjoying some freshness in your home.
Dealing with clogged drains is not easy. But the solutions we have discussed above should be a great start. They are easy to prepare and don’t cost much.
Or you can skip all the hassle by calling an affordable and reliable drain cleaning service. YZ Drain experts are here to ensure your pipes are always cleaned for proper drainage. Let us know your thoughts here.